EP #2 – Three Ways to Serve Christ Daily

Living for christ and making a living

Podcast Notes:

How do we live for Christ and make a living?

When most people think of living for Christ, they automatically think about a priest or a monk or a preacher. They think of someone they are not. They think of someone with plenty of time on their hands and plenty of knowledge.

Jesus called his disciples and guess what? They were not seminarians or theologians. They were fisherman. They were tax collectors. They were sinners. Nowhere near perfect. They were regular people. Like you and me.

Where do we get this idea that to follow Jesus we must be a professionally trained, academically gifted person? There is a disconnect between what Scripture teaches and what is being practiced today.

God never intended for us to think that only the most respected among us would be His followers. He went out of his way to break that mindset. Throughout the Bible we see God calling those who are broken. Those with messed up pasts. Those who the world has given up on. He calls sinners.

So, if this is the case, what are we to do with that? Should everyone just quit their jobs and start preaching on the street corner? Not hardly. Some of us certainly should, the Lord knows we need more street preachers, but that’s not the only way we serve God.

And by serving God daily, God is the one who changes us. He is the one in charge of our sanctification. We change because of the work being doing in us. God doesn’t leave you where he found you. He also doesn’t expect us to just continue sinning because we are now under his grace. He does expect change and growth in our lives. And He will bring it to pass. We just need to keep our eyes on Him.

So how do we serve Him?

We serve God best by following Him daily. What does that mean? Let’s look at three different ways we can follow God daily.

1. First, start your day with Him. If you are anything like me, when you wake up, your mind goes in 50 million different directions. You start thinking about work. You start checking off your to-do list. You make plans. But, how often do you start your day with God? This has been one of my goals. I like to start each day with Scripture reading and silent meditation. I use an app on my smartphone called ReadScripture. It’s a free app and easy to use. I’d highly recommend it. I’ll put a link in the notes below. I have found that when I spend the first part of my day centering myself on God, I look for opportunities to serve him throughout the day. But on the days that I let everything else get in the way, I don’t open my day with him, I easily miss many of the opportunities that He puts in front of me.
  2. Second, you do actually have to look for opportunities. The Bible says, ask and it will be given, seek and you shall find, knock and the door will be opened. Have you asked for opportunities to serve God? Have you sought those out? I have trouble with this from time to time. I am quite frequently worried about being over ambitious. That people will think I’m trying to build myself up to be this great thing or something like that. I have found that this is usually just an excuse to continue to do nothing. God expects more from me. He expects me to seek…to knock…to ask.
  3. And finally, cast all your fears upon the Lord. I think fear of man is the single greatest thing stopping us in the workplace from serving God. We fear losing our jobs. We fear rejection. We fear the unknown. With the political climate in America today, can you blame us? I mean it’s not popular to admit that you are Christian in the workplace. It’s frowned upon if you mention that you are in favor of outlawing abortion. But sometimes, I think we use this as a cover. So instead of simply loving our neighbor, or co-worker, as God commands us to, we blame politics. Let me put is simply – if your neighbor is in need, help them, serve them, love them, no matter what the political fallout is. You cannot allow fear to control you. Overcome your fears by taking risks. The God we serve is not a safe God. He requires radical obedience. He requires us to step out in faith to follow Him.

This is just a start and I plan to continue this conversation in the weeks to come. What are some ways that you serve God daily? Feel free to comment below and join the conversation.

ReadScripture for iTunes

ReadScripture for Google Play

The Good News Segment – Drew & Ariann Corpstein

Click Here for Story

Unreached People Group – Algerian

Arab speaking Algerians

Today’s Word – John 1:19-34

The Testimony of John the Baptist

19 And this is the testimony of John, when the Jews sent priests and Levites from Jerusalem to ask him, “Who are you?” 20 He confessed, and did not deny, but confessed, “I am not the Christ.” 21 And they asked him, “What then? Are you Elijah?” He said, “I am not.” “Are you the Prophet?” And he answered, “No.” 22 So they said to him, “Who are you? We need to give an answer to those who sent us. What do you say about yourself?” 23 He said, “I am the voice of one crying out in the wilderness, ‘Make straight[h] the way of the Lord,’ as the prophet Isaiah said.”

24 (Now they had been sent from the Pharisees.) 25 They asked him, “Then why are you baptizing, if you are neither the Christ, nor Elijah, nor the Prophet?” 26 John answered them, “I baptize with water, but among you stands one you do not know, 27 even he who comes after me, the strap of whose sandal I am not worthy to untie.” 28 These things took place in Bethany across the Jordan, where John was baptizing.

Behold, the Lamb of God

29 The next day he saw Jesus coming toward him, and said, “Behold, the Lamb of God, who takes away the sin of the world! 30 This is he of whom I said, ‘After me comes a man who ranks before me, because he was before me.’ 31 I myself did not know him, but for this purpose I came baptizing with water, that he might be revealed to Israel.” 32 And John bore witness: “I saw the Spirit descend from heaven like a dove, and it remained on him. 33 I myself did not know him, but he who sent me to baptize with water said to me, ‘He on whom you see the Spirit descend and remain, this is he who baptizes with the Holy Spirit.’ 34 And I have seen and have borne witness that this is the Son[i] of God.”

Liked it? Take a second to support Everyday Jesus on Patreon!

10 thoughts on “EP #2 – Three Ways to Serve Christ Daily

1. Brenda Schilke November 14, 2018 / 12:52 am

I thought that you had a lot of valid comments however I don’t understand mainstream Christianity’s total focus on Jesus. After spending literally hundreds of hours reading the bible and studying during the past 3 years, I have found that the focus is really on the Father. Yes, Jesus is absolutely essential but he taught that we are to seek the Father first. He came to do the will of the Father. He was constantly emphasizing and highlighting the Father. Jesus says “My Father is greater than I’. One of the principal reasons he came was to lead us to the Father. Before he was crucified he said ” And this is eternal life, that they may know You, the only true God, and Jesus Christ who You have sent”. He also said in the book of John, “True worshippers will worship the Father in spirit and truth, for the Father is seeking such to worship Him.”He tells us that he spoke the words given to Him by the Father. According to Acts 10:38, Jesus’s works and healings were possible because God the Father was with Him. I am so thankful for his obedience to the Father in sacrificing his life, but it is Yahuah, the Father who receives my worship because that is what Jesus says to do. True worshippers will worship the Father. Somehow I think God the Father gets lost in Christianity and that is not what Jesus taught.

• Everyday Jesus November 14, 2018 / 1:21 am

Thank you for your comments. Obviously I can’t speak for mainstream Christianity, but I can say that I think the focus on Jesus is well deserved. Jesus taught that entire Scriptures pointed to him (Luke 24:27). We know that while he was made “lower than the angels” (Heb 2:9) when he was incarnate, he is equal to God the Father (Phil 2:6). And God the Father obviously wanted us to worship Jesus, because he receives glory from that. It says in the next few verses of Philippians, “Therefore God has highly exalted him and bestowed on him the name that is above every name, so that at the name of Jesus every knee should bow, in heaven and on earth and under the earth, and every tongue confess that Jesus Christ is Lord, to the glory of God the Father.” I do agree that God the Father is often overlooked, as is the Holy Spirit in modern Christianity. So we should definitely spend time studying the other persons in the Trinity. But we do believe in the Trinity; God the Father, Jesus and the Holy Spirit are all equal persons, deserving of all glory, honor and praise. And while they are distinct persons, they are the same God. Thanks again for the comment! Blessings!

2. Brenda Schilke November 13, 2018 / 8:54 pm

If they are all equal persons than why does Jesus say in John 14:28, “My Father is greater than I”. I have read several commentaries on this and they state that there is a difference in rank. Jesus ALWAYS submitted Himself to the authority of His Father. Jesus is still deity but I do not believe that Scripture teaches that he is equal to the Father. If you study the book of John, I think it is clear that Jesus is the obedient, submissive son. What is your understanding of that verse.

• Everyday Jesus November 13, 2018 / 9:30 pm

That is a great question and obviously there are differing views on this. I believe this verse must be taken in context of when it was said. Jesus said this while in human form. Paul says that Jesus “Who, being in very nature God, did not consider equality with God something to be used to his own advantage”. Paul says they are equal. Jesus is obviously submissive to the Father’s will. How do we reconcile these two seemingly contradictory statements? I think the key lies in our understanding of submission. Just like women are equal to men, yet they are to submit to their husbands. Men and women have distinct roles in marriage. Jesus has a distinct role in the Trinity. Jesus brings glory to the Father by submitting to him. God glorifies Jesus by exalting him. I don’t think we can take John 14:28 out of the context of the rest of Scripture, which doesn’t just describe Jesus as a deity, but as God. John 1 says that everything was created through him. John in chapter 5 says the Jews were trying to kill Jesus because he was claiming to be equal with God. John in Chapter 10 says that Jesus and the Father are one. In Revelation Jesus is called the First and the Last, which is the same thing God the Father is called in Isaiah. This is an important topic because the Trinity is one of the items that sets Christianity apart from several occult’s and heretical movements.

3. Brenda Schilke November 14, 2018 / 8:11 am

Although I only listed that one verse there are many others which specifically state that Jesus is the son. Here are a couple. Galations 4:4; 2 Corinthians 1:19; John 3:16; Mark 5:7 and my favorite 2 Peter 1:17. Most church members will say they believe in the trinity because that is what they have been taught, but they really don’t understand what it means. The word trinity is not in Scripture. I believe scripture teaches that the Father is Yahuah or Yahwey if you perfer, the Son is Jesus (Yahusha, or Yeshua if you perfer, and the Holy Spirit is Yahuah’s power, His active force, His gift to us that dwells within us. All three are important but are not equal. We can agree to disagree. I don’t think that believing this way is heretical but it does make me an outcast in the “church” but I’m ok with that. I have put aside everything I ever learned in “church” and have read the scriptures from Genesis to Revelation, studying many topics for hours on end to really determine what was being said and I found many things that conflict with what the “church” teaches. I have never felt closer to my Creator in my life and I will continue with my journey. I enjoy podcasts on all different topics and I think it is great that you have started one. I pray that you and many others will be blessed by your podcast. Seek the truth always!

• Everyday Jesus November 14, 2018 / 8:13 pm

I’m confused as to your first statement, I did not deny that Jesus is the Son of God. I said I agreed with Scripture which teaches he is equal to and is God. And to your second statement, even though the Bible does not contain the word “trinity”, that does not mean that it’s not explicitly taught in Scripture. We see from the beginning with God saying let “US” make man in “OUR” own image. We see it clarified throughout the rest of the Bible. In my previous comment I showed several times where the Bible says that Jesus and God the Father are equals, so I’m confused as to why you would deny that they are? I explained why I think Jesus said what he did in John 14:28, and I would be curious to hear how you interpret John 10:30 which says “I and the Father are one.” To me, that says they are equals and they are one God. Thirdly, the Bible definitely says that the Holy Spirit is a person. The Holy Spirit is a He. John 16:13-14 “When the Spirit of truth comes, he will guide you into all the truth, for he will not speak on his own authority, but whatever he hears he will speak, and he will declare to you the things that are to come. He will glorify me, for he will take what is mine and declare it to you.”. And finally, all of this is important because when we see that God is Triune, we see the importance of community. And that is what the church is…community. From your statement of being an outcast, I would simply suggest to find yourself a church. Churches are full of sinners and people who are not perfect and they will inevitably hurt you, but that is to be completely expected. God commands us to love our neighbors, to not forsake the assembling of ourselves together and to use our gifts to edify the body. I applaud the fact that you are studying Scripture for yourself. That is so important. May the Lord lead you to His truth.

4. Brenda Schilke November 14, 2018 / 9:11 pm

I have plenty of scripture that leads me to believe that they are not all equal but I am not going to continue to go back and forth about it. I don’t believe it would change your opinion and thats fine. We can agree to disagree. I am not alone. Many believers have their doubts about the trinity doctrine. I have no interest in attending a church at this time. I assemble with others at times, just not in a church. I know you believe I am misguided but I think if you study more without any preconceived ideas, you will see that many things that are considered church doctrine are questionable at best. As far as John 10:30 goes, they are one in purpose. Take a look at John 17:22. It says And the glory which You gave Me, I have given them, that they may be one just as We are one. Obviously all believers are not the same person. But they are to be one in purpose and belief.

• Everyday Jesus November 14, 2018 / 11:02 pm

Yes we will have to disagree on this. I pray the Lord will bless you and keep you.